Caerleon Post Office, Cross Street,
From left to right:
Florence Sarah Green, Edwin Arnold Green, William Williams, Billy
Bowerman, Fred Bowerman, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Fanny
Taylor, Aggie Taylor.
You might be surprised that the Post Office was
not in its present location. The house facing us gives a strong
clue as to its former position - Cross Street, near the junction
with Backhall Street.
John's Newport Directory for 1911 tells us Edwin Green was the
postmaster, " Letters from all parts arrive (from Newport)
at 4.15 am, 8.15 am (North), and 2.45 pm, and are dispatched thereto
at 8.40 and 11.50 am, 2.00, 5.45 (North and General), and 9.00
pm. It is a Money order, Telegraph office and Savings bank."
An examination of the commercial section of the directory reveals
that the premises also made (and sold) boots. Furthermore Thos.
Phillips of 4 Norman Street and John Whitting, also of Norman
Street, were postmen.. Maybe they are two of the group.
We are informed: "Letter Post. To and from all parts of the
United Kingdom, the prepaid rates are:- Not exceeding 4oz in weight
1d. For every additional 2 oz - 1/2d. No letter may exceed two
feet in length, one foot in width, or one foot in depth, unless
it be sent to or from a Government office."
Kelly's 1901 directory of Caerleon tells us that
the post office was run by John and Joseph Green. At that time
Edwin Green was house agent, boot & shoe maker, assistant
overseer & tax collector & collector to the Urban District
Hard work must have suited Edwin, as Johns' 1934 directory informs
us he was still running the Post Office!
For directories of Caerleon visit our History