Caerleon Net

History

Pre Roman

Roman

Post Roman

Directories

1840 Tithe Survey

Parish Records

Articles From Gwent Local History Journal

Caerleon Net

Home

Search

Index

Picture of the Month

Archive

Notice Board

Accommodation

Local Information

 

The Roman Army In Caerleon King Arthur Parish Records Directories History Index Home

KELLY'S Directory of Caerleon, 1884

Description
Local Information
Private Residents
Commercial
Caerleon Village Residents
Caerleon Village Commercial
Llangattock Residents
Llangattock Commercial

The township of CAERLEON, included in the parish of Llangattock, is 144 miles from London, and 3 north-east from Newport, on the road to Usk, which is 8 miles from Caer1eon, with a station on the Great Western railway; it is in the lower division of the hundred of Usk, union and county court district of Newport, western division of the rural deanery of Netherwent, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff; it is situated on the banks of the Usk, which is spanned by a substantial stone bridge, erected some years since in the place of an ancient structure of wood, situated a little higher up, and defended at each end by a round tower, now in ruins. Geoffrey of Monmouth states that Caerleon, originally named Caer-wysc, was built by Beli-Mawr in the third or fourth century before Christ; but of its history before the Roman invasion nothing certain is known. The modern name of Caerleon was probably derived from its occupation by the Romans, when it was for many years the station of the Second Legion: as "Isca (Usk) Legionis," it was the capital of the Roman province of Britannia Secunda, and therefore a place of considerable importance. It is generally believed to have been the seat of an archbishop from very early times, and Saint Fagan is said to have been the first archbishop in the year 177.  When Augustine demanded homage to the Bishop of Rome from the Welsh Church, his demand was protested against, and successfully resisted, by Dubritius and his seven suffragan bishops; he was followed by Saint David, who removed the Episcopal seat to Menevia. Tradition says that Julius and Aaron were martyred here during the Dioclesian persecution. Adlephus, or Carfrawd, represented the see of Caerleon in the council of Aries A.D. 314. Giraldus asserts that there were three fine churches at Caerleon, one dedicated to Julius, another to Aaron, and the third distinguished as the metropolitan church of Wales. The town was formerly incorporated, and the chief officer had the title of mayor; and a curious letter from the mayor and burgesses of Caerleon to the mayor of Monmouth is to be seen among the Cotton MSS. in the British Museum. The township is governed by a local board of 9 members. The church of St. Cadoc is a building of mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a tower containing a clock and 6 bells: a Norman arch, was discovered at the base of the tower during the restoration in 1867; the upper portion of the tower is Early English: the greater part of the windows are Decorated and the eastern portion of the chancel Late Perpendicular: there are two stained windows in the chancel. The church was restored, and mainly rebuilt in 1867, at an outlay of £3000. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1695; marriages, 1715; the earlier copies were destroyed, it is supposed, during the Rebellion. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £255, net yearly income £300, with 52 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1857 by the Rey. Howell Powell Edwards M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford, prebendary of LIandaff, rural dean of Utherwent (western division) and surrogate. In 1863 the old vicarage was pulled down, and the site added to the churchyard, and a new vicarage built on the west of and adjoining the churchyard. Here are Catholic, Baptist and Congregational chapels; at Caerleon village are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels. The county constabulary have a station here and petty sessions for the district are held every alternate Thursday. The place is lit with gas by a company, formed in 1869. There are three malthouses. Fairs are held here on the third Wednesday in February, and on May 1st, July 20th and September 21st. Here are the remains of a Roman amphitheatre, and of the town wall, built by the Romans, together with a large artificial mound, dating probably from Roman times. A museum erected by public subscription in 1851, near the church, contains many local antiquities, chiefly Roman, of which an illustrated catalogue was compiled by J. E. Lee esq. of Villa Syrcusa, Torquay, and published by Messrs. Longman & Co. 1862: The collection includes three fine specimens of tessellated pavement, of which the third, discovered in the parish churchyard a few years ago, has a beautifully formed labyrinthine pattern, said to be unique in Great Britain. A Reading Room and Library, under the control of the Caerleon Local Board, was built (by subscription) in 1875, at a cost of £400: the library contains about 200 volumes, and there is a regular supply of newspapers and periodicals. The Duke of Beaufort K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are John Capel Hanbury esq. J.P. Pontypool Park; and Lieut.-Col. Sir Arthur William Mackworth bart. R.E. of Glenusk, near Caerleon. The soil is red loam; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley.
top of page

The area is 2,937 acres; rateable value, £4,668; rateable value of Llangattock, £3,084; and the population in 1881 was 1,262.

Parish Clerk, William Williams, master of the boys' school.

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office. - John Green, Postmaster. Letters through Newport arrive at 7 a.m. & 2.10 p.m.; dispatched at 2, 5.50 & 7.40 p.m. Money order & savings bank business from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.

LOCAL BOARD:-
Offices, Endowed School-room, High street
Board Day, every fourth monday at 8 o'clock
Clerk, Clement Meacher Bailhache, Newport
Treasurer, E. Webber, Newport
Medical Officer of Health, John Albert Morris M.R.C.S. Eng., L.S.A. High street
Surveyor & Inspector of Nuisances, William Harris, Woodbine cottage, Llangattock
Collector, Tom Robert Morgan, Tan house, Mill street

INSURANCE AGENT.- Lancashire, Tom Robert Morgan

County Police Station, Thomas Povall, sergeant

PUBLIC OFFICERS:-
Certifying Factory Surgeon & Medical Officer, Caerleon District & Medical Officer of Health, No. 7 Rural District, Newport Union, John Albert Morris, High street
Assistant Overseer & Tax Collector, Tom Robert Morgan, Tan house, Mill street
Town Crier, James Watson, Mill street


PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of services:-
St. Cadoc Church, Rev. Howell Powell Edwards M.A. vicar, 8 & 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; fri. 7 p.m
Catholic, served from Newport the first sunday in every month at 10 a.m. & 6 p.m
Baptist, Rev. Dewi Bevan Jones; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; fri. 7.30 p.m
Congregational, (vacant); 6 p.m.; fri. 7.30 p.m
Primitive Methodist; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; every alternate mon. 7 p.m
Wesleyan; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; thurs. 7 p.m

SCHOOLS:-
Endowed (mixed & infants'), founded & endowed by Charles Williams esq. a native of Caerleon, in 1724; under a scheme recently framed by the charity commissioners: the income is now about £250 yearly, derived from land & dividends on money invested; William Williams, master; Miss Jane Snell, mistress; Mrs. James Jarrett, infants' mistress
Newport Union Industrial, forming a branch of the Newport Poor Law Union, established in 1859 & enlarged in 1881 at a cost of £5000 from designs by A. O. Watkins & Son, including a new infirmary & laundry of blue Pennant stone; there are about 200 children; George Harding, superintendent; J. A. Morris, medical officer; Mrs. Mary Harding, matron; Charles Axtell, schoolmaster; Joseph Dowle, bailiff; Miss Jane Wylie, schoolmistress

Railway Station, Frederick Thomas Angell, station master
top of page

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Bertera Geronthius Geronzio, Mill st
Edwards Rev. Howell Powel M.A. [vicar of Llangattock-juxta-Caerleon], Vicarage, High street
Edwards Mrs. The Priory, High street
Griffiths William, The Firs, High street
Harris Mrs. Castle villa, High street
Jarrett James, Cross street
Jenkins David William, Bro-Dawel
Jenkins George Arthur, Cottage, Gold Croft common
Jones Rev. Dewi Bevan [Baptist], Ash cottage, High street
Llewellin Thomas Morgan, High street
Marsh Alfred, Mill Brook house, Mill st
Morgan Miss, Backhall street
Morgan Mrs. Backhall street
Morgan William, High street
Morris John Albert, High street
Murphy James
Parry Thomas, Caerleon house, High st
Price Miss, Farnham house
Price Mrs. Backhall street
Williams Mrs. Myrtle cottage, High st
Woollett Robert Francis J.P. Castle ho
top of page

COMMERCIAL

Ablart Thomas, shopkeeper, High street
Allen Martha (Miss), milliner, High St
Beacham Martha (Mrs.), baker, Cross st
Blower Chas. cattle dealer, Norman st
Boddington John Thomas, fellmonger & Woolstapler, High street
Brunker Jn. Wm. Red Lion, Backhall st
Caerleon Gas Co. Limited (John Flemming, manager)
Davies Ann (Mrs.), The Three Salmon, High street
Dean Emma (Mrs.), shopkeeper, High st
Eastment Annie (Mrs.), dress maker, High street
Eastment Chas. photographer, High st
Edwards John, Star inn, Backhall street
Evans Elizabeth (Mrs.), draper, High st
Farquhar George, news agent, High St
George John, shopkeeper, Mill street
Golledge Fredk. John, painter, Cross st
Golledge John, plumber, painter, glazier & paperhanger, High street
Gower John, beer retailer, Mill street
Gray Llewellyn, tailor & draper, Museum street
Green James, painter & decorator, High street
Green John, boot maker, & post office, Cross street
Griffiths William, maltster, High street
Hail James, Bull, High street
Harris John, blacksmith
Hinder Isaac, smith, Castle street
Howell William, wheelwright, Castle st
Jenkins William, haulier & farmer, Gold Croft common
Jenkins Thos. carpntr.  Gold Croft common
Jenkins William, shopkeeper, Cross st
Jennings John, builder, Mill street
Johnson Edwd. Beer retailer, Church st
Jones William, baker, Backhall street
Jones Wm. China & glass dlr. Cross st
Kembrey William, baker, Backhall street
Lewis Ann (Mrs.), glass & earthenware dealer, Backhall street
Lewis Thomas, beer retailer & coal dealer, Mill street
Lewis William, beer retlr. Backhall st
Lindsey John, boot & shoe maker, Backhall street
Maslin James, farmer, High street
Matthews Samuel & Catherine (Miss), grocers & provision dealers, High st
Mills Henry, watch & clock ma. High st
Morgan Catherine (Miss), ladies' school, Backhall street
Morgan Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Tan house, Mill street
Morgan Elizabeth (Miss), shopkeeper, Backhall street
Morgan James, timber dealer, Gold Croft common
Morgan Tom Robert, assistant overseer & tax collector, Tan house, Mill street
Morgan William, hay dealer, High street
Morris John Albert, surgeon, medical officer Industrial school & Caerleon district, & medical officer of health No. 7 rural district, Newport union & Caerleon urban sanitary authority & certifying factory surgeon, High st
Parker Joseph Wallace, New inn, High st
Phipps John, shopkeeper, Backhall street
Price George, boot maker, High street
Reading Room & Library (Llewellyn Gray, secretary), Gold Croft common
Richards Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailer, Gold Croft common
Roberts Jas. The Old Crown, Backhall st
Rogers Ann (Miss), draper, Cross street
Rogers Frederick Hughes, King's Head, Castle street
Slade William Hen, grocer, Backhall st
Smart William, wheelwright & carpenter, Mill street
Thomas Martha (Mrs.), White Hart, High street
Thomas Sidney, ironmonger, High st
Thomas Wm. frmr. Dairy farm, High st
Thorne Geo. Frederick, grocer, Cross st
Vaughan Wm. Moses, Hanbury Arms, tailor & farmer, Bridge
Watson James, shoe maker & town crier
Welbourn Jn. Angel, Gold Croft common
Williams Mark, Gold Croft inn, & butcher, Gold Croft common
Williams William, butcher, Cross street 
top of page

CAERLEON VILLAGE

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Jenking William Alexander Dillon, Ash Well house
Morris Alfred, Lulworth house
Pope Arthur, Isca Grange
Roberts Capt. Richd. Thos. Belmont ho
Sach Henry, Bellevue
Thomas Miss, Spring grove
Tippet William, Mount Pleasant
top of page

COMMERCIAL

Brown John, market gardener
Green James, plumber &c
Jenking William Alexander Dillon, commission merchant & agent for the Glasgow Patent Moulders' Blacking Co. Ash Well house
Jenkins Thomas, shopkeeper
Johnson William D. master mariner
Jones John, fisherman & lighterman
Jordan Otto, Ship inn
Lewis Ann (Mrs.), White Lion
Lewis William, King's Arms
Morgan James, shopkeeper & wood dlr
Morris Alfred, maltster, Lulworth ho
Vickery James, blacksmith
Waters Morgan, beer retailer
top of page

LLANGATTOCK

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Brind Mrs. Mount Pleasant
Gardner Frederick, Green meadow
Leonard Miss, New house

COMMERCIAL

Anthony William, market gardener
Cannon Mark, farm bailiff to D. W. Jenkins esq. of Caerleon, Malt ho. frm
Davies John, shopkeeper
Davies Wm. farmer, Lower Pen-y-bank
Edmonds William, farmer, Pentsoar
Evans Albert, Rising Sun
Gibbon William tailor
Harris Benjamin, shopkeeper
Harris Charles, farm bailiff to Miss James of Llandegveth, Ty-coch farm
Harris Eliza (Miss), farmer, The Common farm
Harris William, farmer & surveyor & inspector of nuisances to Caerleon local board, Woodbine cottage
Harris Wm. farmer, Upper Pen-y-bank
Jenkins Merrick, miller (water) & farmer, Llansore mill
Jones Edmund, farmer, Pentewen farm
Jones Leonard, shopkeeper
Jones Richard, farmer, Ty-isaf
Parry Philip, farmer, Penrose
Parry William, farmer, Lodge farm
Parry William, jun. farmer, St. Andrew's
Rice Henry, road surveyor, Brook ho
Richardson Jn. butchr. & frmr. Pentopin
Rogers Thomas, farmer, Ty-coch
Scard Alfred, farmer; Pillmawr
Scard Simeon, farmer, Park farm
Sheppard John, farmer, Pillbach
Williams John, farmer, Court-y-mwnus