Caerleon Net


Pre Roman


Post Roman


1840 Tithe Survey

Parish Records

Articles From Gwent Local History Journal

Caerleon Net





Local Information


The Roman Army In Caerleon King Arthur Parish Records Directories History Index Home

KELLY'S Directory of Caerleon, 1901

Caerleon & Llangattock
County Magistrates
Urban District Council
Public Officers
Places Of Worship
Railway Station
Private Residents

The township of Caerleon, included in the parish of Llangattock, is on the road from Newport to Usk, with a station on the Pontypool, Caerleon and Newport junction branch of the Great Western railway, is 160 miles from London, 3 north-east from Newport and 8 from Usk; it is in the Southern division of the county, lower division of the hundred of Usk, petty sessional division of Caerleon, union and county court district of Newport, and in the rural deanery of Caerleon, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff; it is on the banks of the Usk, which is spanned by a stone bridge of 3 arches, erected some years since in place of an ancient structure of wood a little higher up, and defended at each end by a round tower, now in ruins. Geoffrey of Monmouth states that Caerleon, originally named Caer-wyce, was built by Beli-Mawr in the 3rd or 4th century before Christ; but of its history before the Roman invasion nothing certain is known.  The modern name of Caerleon was probably derived from its occupation by the Romans, when it was for many years the station of the Second Legion: as "Isca (Usk) Legionis" it was the capital of the Roman province of Britannia Secunda, and therefore a place of considerable importance.  It is generally believed to have been the seat of an archbishop from very early times, and Saint Fagan is said to have been the first archbishop in the year '77. When Augustine demanded homage to the Bishop of Rome from the Welsh Church, his demand was protested against, and successfully resisted, by Dubritius and his seven suffragan bishops: he was followed by St. David, who removed the episcopal seat to Menevia.  Tradition says that Julius and Aaron were martyred here during the Dioclesian persecution.  Adelphus, or Carfrawd, represented the see of Caerleon in the Council of Arles A.D. 314.  Giraldus asserts that there were three fine churches at Caerleon, one dedicated to Julius, another to Aaron, and the third distinguished as the Metropolitan church of Wales.  The town was formerly incorporated, and the chief officer had the title of mayor; and a curious letter from the mayor and burgesses of Caerleon to the mayor of Monmouth is to be seen among the Cotton MSS. in the British Museum. The township adopted the "Local Government Act of 1858, June 7, 1872, and was governed by a Local Board, until the "Local Government Act, 1894," established the present Urban District Council; it is lighted with gas by a company, formed in 1869, and supplied with water from the Newport Corporation Water Works.  The church of  St. Cadoc, Llangattock, is a building in mixed styles, consisting of chacel, nave, aisles, south porch and a tower containing a clock and 8 bells; a Norman arch of very early date was discovered at the base of the tower during the restoration in 1867; the upper portion of the tower is Early English the greater part of the windows are Decorated and the eastern portion of the chancel Late Perpendicular; there are twelve stained windows in the church, four of which are memorials to Charles Williams esq. the founder of the Caerleon charities.  The church was restored, and mainly rebuilt in 1867, at an outlay of £3000 and during the period 1874-90, received various improvements, at a cost of £1159; there are 690 sittings.  The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1695 ; marriages, 1715; the earlier copies were destroyed, it is supposed, during the Rebellion. The living is a vicarage, net yearly income £283 with  52 acres of glebe and residence in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1885 by the Rev. Francis Bedwell B.D. of Corpus Christi Collee Oxford, canon and prebendary of Llandaff, and surrogate  In 1863 the old vicarage was pulled down, and the site added to the churchyard, and a new vicarage built to the west of and adjoining the churchyard.  There are three malthouses. Fairs are held here on the third Wednesday in February and on May 1st, July 20th and September 21st.  There are remains here of a Roman amphitheatre, as well as of the town wall, together with a large artificial mound dating probably from Roman times. A Museum, erected by public subscription in 1851, near the church contains many local antiquities chiefly Roman, of which an illustrated catalogue was compiled by J. E. Lee esq. of Villa Syracusa, Torquay, and published by Messrs. Longman and Co. 1862: the collection includes three fine specimens of tesselated pavement, of which the third, discovered in the parish churchyard a few years ago, has a beautifully formed labyrinthine pattern, said to be unique in Great Britain.  The Reading Room, Library, and Billiard Room was builtby subscription in 1875, at a cost of £400; the library contains about 120 volumes, and there is a regular supply of newspapers and periodicals. The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are John Capel Hanbury esq.  of Pontypool Park;  and Col. Sir Arthur William Mackworth bart. R.E., C.B.,  D.L.,  J.P. of Glen Usk. The soil is red loam; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area of Caerleon is 526 acres of land, 16 of tidal water and 15 of foreshore rateable value £5,951; the area of Llangattock is 2353 acres of land 14 of water, 15 of tidal water, and 21 of foreshore;  rateable value of Llangattock, £4,306;  the population of the Urban District in 1891 was 1,411; and Llangattock civil parish, 246; and of the ecclesiastical parish, 1,657  and of Caerleon, 1,411. Parish Clerk, James Davies.
top of page

POST, M. O. & T. O.,  T. M. O.,  Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. - John Green, sub-postmaster.
Letters through Newport arrive at 7 a.m. 11.15 a.m. & 2.10 p.m.; dispatched at 11.40 a.m. 1.45, 5.45 & 9p.m. Money order & savings bank business from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m.
Wall Letter Boxes, cleared at 6 p.m. week days only; & Llangattock, 5.45 ditto

Mitchell Frank Johnstone esq. F.S.A. Llanfrechfa grange, Caerleon, Newport, chairman
Mackworth Col. Sir Arthur William bart. R.E., C.B., D.L., J.P. The Priory, Caerleon, Newport
Addams-Williams Harold esq. M.A. Llwyncelyn, Caerleon, Newport
Butler Isaac esq. Panteg house, Griffiths Town, Newport
Cory Clifford John esq. Llantarnan Abbey, Newport
Firbank Charles Herbert esq. Glen Usk, Caerleon, Newport
Jenkins David Wm. esq. Bro-Dawel, Caerleon, nr. Newport
Lawrence John esq. D.L. Caerleon house, Newport
Lyne Ernest Lewis esq. Caerleon, Newport
Mansel Col. Robt. Hy., D.L. Maindiff court, Abergavenny
Marsh Charles William Earle esq. D.L. Rockdale, Stow Park near Newport
Nicholl George Bleddvn Tyrrell esq. 103 Caerleon rd. Newport
Nicholl Digby Seys Whitlock esq. F.L.S., F.Z.S. Llantwit Major, Cardiff
Nicholson Charles esq. Llwyn Celyn, Llangibby,nr. Newport
Parry Thomas esq. The Croft, Caerleon, Newport
Pilliner Alfred Massey esq. Llan-y.ravon court, Newport
Pratt Bickerton esq. Roughton court, Newport
Rafarel Fdk.  Wm. esq. Glencoed, Cwmbran, Newport
Richards Edward Windsor esq. Plas Llecha, Caerleon, Newport
Roberts Richd. Thos. esq. Belmont, Caerleon, Monmouth
Williams Alfred esq. The Mount, Caerleon, Newport
The chairman, for the time being, of the Caerleon Urban District Council, is an ex-officio magistrate.
Clerk to the Magistrates, John Charles Llewellin M.A. 26 Stow Hill, Newport
Petty Sessions are held at the Police stations, Caerleon & Cwmbran, every alternate Thursday at 11a.m. & 10.30 a.m. respectively.
The following places are included in the petty sessional division - Caerleon, Llandegveth, Llangattock, LIanhennock,  Llanthewy-vach,  Llanvihangel-Llantarnam, Llanfrechfa Lower & Tredunnock.
top of page

Meeting day, 1st Tuesday in every month, at 7 p.m.
Chairman, Rev. Dewi Bevan Jones.
Vice-Chairman, John Henry Taylor.
Retire in April, 1901.
J. Green, Thomas Parry, David William Jenkins
Retire in April, 1902.
Rev. Dewi Bevan Jones, John Henry Taylor, William Welsford
Retire in April, 1903.
Henry Crease, A. Ll. Edwards, L. F. Stedman
Clerk, Thomas Richards Penderil Herbert, solicitor, Newport
Treasurer, E. Webber, National Provincial Bank, Newport
Medical Officer of Health, Charles William de Gruchy L.R.C.P.Lond. High street
Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector, William Harris, Woodbine, Llangattock
Collector, Edwin Arnold Green, Leicester House County Police Station, Geo. Lewis, sergt. & 5 constables
top of page

Certifying Factory Surgeon, Medical Officer, Caerleon Dist. Newport Union, Charles William de Gruchy L.R.C.P Lond. High street
Assistant Overseers, Edwin Arnold Green.
Leicester house, & William Harris, Woodbine, Llagattock
Tax Collector, Edwin Arnold Green, Leicester House

PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of Services.
St. Cadoc Church, Rev. Canon Francis Bedwell B.D. vicar; 8 & 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Fri. 7 p.m.
Catholic, served from Newport, Sun. at 10 a.m. & 3 p.m.
Baptist, Rev. D. B. Jones; 11 am. & 6 p.m.; Fri. 7.30 p.m.
Congregational 6 p.m. ; Fri. 7.30 p.m.
Primitive Methodist; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; Tues. 7 p.m.
Wesleyan; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Thurs. 7 p.m.

Endowed (boys & girls & infants), founded & endowed by Charles Williams esq. a native of Caerleon, in 1724; & administered under a scheme framed by the Charity Commissioners in 1878; the income applicable to the schools amounts to about £300 yearly, & is derived from land & dividends on money invested; Evan Davies, master; Miss S. E. Stott, mistress ; Miss Kimbra Mrgt. Powell, infants mistress; average attendance, 300.
Newport Union Industrial, forming a branch of the Newport Poor Law Union, established in 1859 & enlarged in 1881 at a cost of £6,000; there are about 200 children ; attached to the school is a farm of about 30 acres, on which the boys are taught farming & garden work, tailoring & instrumental music are also taught, & the girls are instructed in house work, sewing & washing; Gilbert William Harding, superintendent; Charles Gruchy L.R.C.P.Lond. medical officer; Mrs. Mary Harding, matron; Charles Axtell, school master; Mrs. Axtell, schoolmistress; Miss E. Jennings & Miss L. Jenkins, industrial trainers; J. H. White, tailor; George Griffiths, bailiff.
top of page

RAILWAY STATION, Thomas B. Clark, station master.

Baker John Edgar, Glen plas
Bedwell Rev.  Canon Francis B.D. (vicar of Llangattock-juxta-Caerleon & surrogate), Vicarage, High street
Blower Charles, Glendower villa
Clark Thomas, Bainford, Hollywood
Colthurst George, Myrtle cottage
Cope Mrs. Farnham house
Crease Henry, Hillcrest
Cullen William, Highcroft
Davies James, Church street
Dean William Henry
de Grnchy Charles William, High st
Evans Miss, Rock cottage
Flanders Walter Garlie
Frost Mrs. Brynderwen
Hopkins George
Jackson Mrs. Gold Croft villa
Jenkins David Wm. J.P. Bro-Dawel
Jones Rev. Dewi Bevan (Baptist), 3 Carlton terrace
Lawrence John D.L., J.P. Caerleon ho.
Lewis Thomas, High street
Mackworth Col. Sir Arthur William, bart. R.E., C.B., D.L., J.P. The Priory
Miller William Haywood, Ty Craig
Morgan Miss, Backhall street
Morgan Mrs. Millbrook house
Parnall Henry J
Parry Thomas J.P. The Croft
Parry Mrs. 2 Carlton terrace
Phillips James, Danebury house
Pope Arthur Leigh, South view
Rennie Mrs. 1 Carlton terrace
Reynolds George Phillip, Abbotsford
Taylor John Henry, Bryn-Deri
Stedman L. Foster, The Firs
Stephens Thomas Mitchel, Brynhyfyd
Sprowle Rev. Arthur Henry B.A. (curate), Usk Side house
Watson Wm. Stealer, Broadtowers
Wearing Mrs.  Westcombe cottage, Goldcroft common
Williams Alfred J.P. The Mount
Williams Miss, Glendower
Williams Mrs. Arthur cottage
top of page

Ablart Rebecca (Mrs.), fancy repository, High street
Arnold Maria (Mrs.), mrkt. gardener
Baldwin Henry, Gold Croft inn
Banners John & William, fellmongers & wool staplers
Baulch Wm. H. carpenter, High street
Bishop William, saddler, High street
Blower Chas. cattle dealer, Railway st
Brangham Wm. shopkpr. Backhall st
Brown Josiah & Son, brwrs. & maltsters
Brown Thomas Ratcliffe, brewer & maltster & Hanbury Arms P.H.
Caerleon Gas Co. Limited (John Fleming, manager; E. A. Green, sec)
Clark Thos. B. station mstr. 2 Cecil ter
Davies Edris, butcher
de Gruchy Charles William L.R.C.P. Lond., M.R.C.S. Eng. surgeon, medical officer Industrial School & Caerleon district of Newport union, medical officer of health, Caerleon Urban District
Council & certifying factory surgeon, High street
Edwards John. haulier
Evans John Jones, The Old Crown P.H. Backhall street
Evans Mary A. (Miss), draper & news agent, High street
Gabb Samuel, beer retailer
George John, shopkeeper, Mill street
Gibbens John Corney, wheelwright
Golledge Alfred, plumber, painter & paperhanger, High street
Green Edward Arnold, house agent & boot & shoe maker, assistant overseer & tax collector & collector to the Urban District Council, Leicester house
Green John & Joseph, boot makers, Post office, Cross street
Griffiths Christphr. maltster, High st
Grundy John, grocer, Mill street
Harding Gilbert William, master Industrial schools
Harris John, blacksmith
Hakell John, whitesmith
Hatchard Frederick, shopkeeper
Herbert Thomas, coal merchant, 4 Cecil terrace
Herbert Tom, Red Lion P.H
Hooper Walter, milkman, Backhall st
Hopkins Robert, shopkeeper
Horton William, grocer, High street
Hutchings Edwin Wm. paintr. 8 Mill stJames  George,  haulier & market gardener, Mill street
James Herbert, shopkpr. High street
Jenkins Thos. carpenter, 2 Cecil street
Jenkins William, timber dealer & farmer, Gold Croft common
Jenkins William, toy dealer, Cross st
Johnson Edward, beer retailer, Gold Croft common
Jones Jacob, drpr. & irnmngr. High st
Kembrev Wm. baker, Blackhall street
Lewis Mary A. (Mrs.), The Three Salmons P.H. High street
Lewis Thomas, haulier, High street
Lewis William, beer retlr. Backhall st
Matthews Samuel & Catherine (Miss), grocers & provision dlrs. High st
Matthews Jane (Miss), dress maker, Gold Croft common
Milsom Henry, grocer, Backhall st
Morgan David, farmer
Morgan John, shoe mkr. Bachall st
Morris Margaret (Mrs.), music tcher
Nevill Alfred, White Hart P.H
Pepler Caroline (Mrs.), corn merchant
Powell Jo. frmr. Tan ho. Mid street
Rawley Mary (Mrs.), greengrocer
Reading Room, Library & Billiard Room (Gilbert William Harding, hon. sec.), Gold Croft common
Richardson Sarah Jane (Mrs.), btchr
Rogers Annie (Miss), draper, Cross at
Sadler Evan, beer retailer
Symonds Geo. Edwd. H.M. customs
Thomas Wm. frmr. Dairy frm. High st
Thorne George Fredk. grocer & agent for W. & A. Gilbey Lim. wine & spirit merchants, Cross street
Turner Arth. Benj. commrcl. travllr
Vaughan Wm. Moses, tailor, Mill st
Vickery James, blacksmith, High st
Warren Wm. plasterer, Hambury cot
Waters Charles Henry, shopkeeper
Welbourn John, Angel  P.H. Gold Croft common
Welsford William, commercial traveller
Williams Agnes (Mrs.), grocer
Williams Nellie Florence (Mrs.), Bull inn
top of page

Brind Mrs. Mount Pleasant
Hopkins George Henderson, Avonllewy
Leybourn Mrs. Green meadow
Pratt Bickerton J. P. Roughton (letters through Ponthir)
Baker Wm. Edgar, frmr. Lodge farm
Davies Evan, Rising Sun P.H
Davies John, farmer, Lower Pen-y-bank (letters through Ponthir)
Gibbon William, tailor
Harris Benjamin, shopkeeper
Harris Edwd. farner, Ty-coch farm
Harris. William, farmer & surveyor & inspector of nuisances to Caerleon Urban District Council & assistant overseer, Woodbine
Harris William, farmer, Upper Pen-y bank (letters through Ponthir)
Hurley James, market gardener
James Wm. farmer, Pentwyn farm
Jones Richard, farmer
Lewis Hannah (Mrs.), farmer
Lewis William Francis, farmerParry William, farmer, Penrose
Phillips Dvd. Richd. frmr. St.Andrews
Powell Ann (Mrs.), market gardener
Rogers Thomas, farmer, Ty-coch
Scard Alfred, farmer, Pilmawr
Sheppard John, farmer, Pillbach
Snell Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Starke Geo. Wm. frmr. Ponthir farm
Stark William Arthur, farmer
Williams Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Court-y-mwnws